Call us now
01244 624 027
4 Shipgate Street
Chester CH1 1RT

Tenants Guide

How To Rent Guide - The Checklist For Renting In England

Renting a property can sometimes be a daunting process. At Denton Clark Rentals, our aim is to ensure that your property search and move is as hassle free and enjoyable as possible from start to finish. We have a range of properties to offer from luxury country family homes, to city centre apartments, and we specialise in ‘out of the ordinary,’ rural character properties. We offer a diverse price range of homes to suit wide ranging budgets across Cheshire, North Shropshire and North Wales.

Our friendly and experienced team are happy to discuss tenant’s specific property requirements, so we can keep you in the loop regarding new and upcoming properties that may be suitable to ensure you don’t miss the opportunity when a new property becomes available. We also advise signing up for Rightmove and On The Market email alerts.

We recommend you start to look for rental properties at least two months before you plan to move. Nothing should be like left to the last minute if you want to succeed in securing a property at the right rent and in the right location for you. The key point to remember is to be flexible. The quicker you can move the better- make sure you and your partner/ husband/ friend (if you are moving with somebody) are both available to view the property together so decisions can be made quickly. Be prepared to take time off work for viewings as not all properties will be available to view at any time if they are occupied. We try our very best to be as flexible as possible when arranging viewings for prospective tenants however sometimes we are limited to current tenant’s availability.

Once you have viewed a property and decided to proceed with the letting, the next step is the referencing/ application process.

Application/ Referencing Process

Before we can commence with this process, we require an application/ referencing fee. Prospective tenants should be aware that this fee is non-refundable and will be asked to sign a letter explaining the process and agreeing to this. These fees can be found under ‘tenants fees.’ Once payment has been received we will email you across a link to an online form for you to complete and submit information regarding your referencing. All applicants over the age of 18 who will be living in the property must be referenced. The process consists of a full credit report, employment/ income/ affordability report and previous landlord/ accommodation check, as well as next of kin information and ID check. To help speed this process up please make sure you have the relevant documentation at the ready e.g. wage slips, tax returns etc and have correct contact details for your referees e.g. your current landlord and current employer. 

There is nothing worse than doing a credit check for you then to fail, so if you have any bad credit history, bankruptcy or CCJ against you then please let us know prior to this stage. If this is the case, then we would need to discuss with the landlord of the property and you must be prepared to pay 6 months’ rent in advance or provide a guarantor. The sooner we know about any poor credit history then the more easily we can help you

Our referencing process can all be completed online and via email to keep it as easy and time resistant as possible for our tenants. There is always somebody at the end of the phone in our office to help if you have any issues during this process.

Tenancy Agreement

Once sufficient referencing has been received, the tenancy agreement can be prepared. This is a detailed legal document and we advise taking time to read this document thoroughly. We are very happy to answer any queries you may have on this. This document states the terms and conditions of the tenancy and is designed to protect both you and your landlord. 

We would normally agree on a term of either 6 or 12 months for the tenancy initially. Some landlords may stipulate a minimum of a 12 month let if they are looking for the security of a longer-term tenant, however some may want to stick to an initial 6 months. A longer term can be arranged if this is the preference of both the tenant and landlord.

The tenancy agreement can be signed electronically online using Echo Sign. This helps to ensure a smooth and efficient administration process. 

Deposit and Rent

We require the first month’s rent and a dilapidations deposit equal to one and a half month’s rent at least one week before the start of the tenancy. This must be paid by BACS transfer into our bank account. If it has been agreed that you may keep a pet at the property, then the deposit will be slightly larger (equal to two months’ rent.) 

Your deposit will be protected and registered within the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) and you will receive a TDS certificate stating this.

Check In

If we manage the property, then we will arrange to meet you at the property at a convenient time on the move in day to hand over keys. A professional inventory/ schedule of condition will be carried out before you move in and you will be provided with a copy. This is a detailed document (including many photographs,) and notes the ingoing condition of the property. Tenants are given the opportunity to go through this in their own time and are able to highlight any additions. This document is especially important at the end of the tenancy when it comes to the deposit return as it is used to compare the outgoing condition of the property with the ingoing. Overall it protects the interests of the landlord and tenant.

Tenants- Frequently Asked Questions

Can I have pets in my new home?

This will all depend on whether the landlord will allow pets at their rental property. You must inform us if you have pets prior to viewing a property and permission must be granted by the landlord in order to be able to keep pets at the property.

Am I responsible for the garden?

Yes, tenants are responsible for maintaining the garden, lawns, driveway, borders etc unless otherwise agreed at the start of the tenancy.

Can I decorate the property?

You must consult us/ your landlord to gain permission before doing any decorating yourselves.

What happens if I find any faults or repairs that need addressing in my rental property?

If you feel that you have a problem that needs fixing, an appliance to be repaired, or that maintenance work is needed on a property that we manage, then you must contact our property manager immediately, preferably my email, providing as much information as possible, (including any photographs if able.) We can then inform your landlord and call upon one of our many trusted tradesmen or contractors to attend to the issue at a convenient time to suit you.

If you have an emergency issue at a weekend or evening, then you can contact us on our emergency out of hours number at any time. Please be aware that if the issue/ damage was caused by the tenant, even if this was accidental, then you will more than likely be charged for the call out and repair.

If we do not manage the property you are renting, then you must contact your landlord directly regarding any maintenance/ repair issues. You will be given all of your landlord’s contact information at the start of the tenancy.

Do I pay bills and council tax?

As a tenant you will be responsible for any utility bills such a water, gas and electric as well as the council tax, unless there is any special arrangement with the landlord that any of these are included in the rent, this is very rare. You will be responsible for a TV license at the property. If you watch TV without a license you are at risk of being fined.

If your property has oil fired central heating, then you are responsible for ensuring that oil tank has a sufficient amount oil at all times. If the oil tank is allowed to run completely dry, then the heating system will stop working and the system will need to be bled. This requires the attendance of a plumber and therefore the contractor call out cost with be charged back to you as the tenant.

Do I need insurance as a tenant?

The landlord of the property is responsible for insuring the building and any furnishings that come with it. You will be responsible for insuring your own contents/ personal possessions kept at the rented property.

Can I run a business from the property I rent?

No. You must use the property solely for residential purposes only unless specifically agreed in advance in writing.

What happens at the end of my tenancy or when I wish to leave?

Tenants are not able to leave before the end of the fixed tenancy agreement. At the end of your fixed tenancy term, the tenancy will automatically become a periodic tenancy and will roll on month by month unless the tenancy is renewed for further fixed period, or is terminated.

When a tenant wishes to vacate they are required to give a minimum of one month’s notice in writing from the rent due date. If the property is managed by Denton Clark Rentals, then the notice must be given to us but if the property is managed by the landlord then the notice must be given to the landlord directly. This information will be provided on your tenancy agreement. If you wish to leave a property, as much notice as possible is much appreciated. If a landlord’s wishes to take back possession of their rental property, then they are required to give a minimum of two month’s written notice.

You will be issued with vacating notes to help you prepare the house for handover. The property must be returned in a clean and tidy condition and all sets of keys must be given back. Once the property has been checked out and the landlord is happy with the condition, we will arrange for your deposit to be returned.

What is ARLA- Property Mark?

The best way to ensure you will be renting a good quality property through 

a professional agent is to ensure they are registered by the Association of 

Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) and are Propertymark protected, like ourselves.  An ARLA agency, will only rent properties which comply with current legislation. Your money will be protected by a client monies protection scheme and your deposit will be registered with a government registered scheme, we use the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. The agent will also be a member of a redress scheme such as the Property Ombudsman and will have Professional Indemnity Insurance, so you are protected if anything goes wrong. If the property is managed by us, you can be assured that any maintenance issues you report to us will be dealt with as soon as possible.


Register with Denton Clark Rentals for the latest property availability. Our properties change daily and the best way to stay up to date is to take a few moments to register. When new properties become available that match your criteria we will let you know.

Register For Property

Denton Clark Rentals

01244 624 027